Gluten-Free, Hormone Balancing, Energy Giving Peanut Butter Protein Bars & a Treadmill HIIT Workout
A tragic thing happened yesterday: I went to the Grocery store and they were completely out of my beloved Perfect Foods Bars. The horror. How was I to survive? I stood there and stared at the empty display case where my besties once lived for a good 30 seconds.
I pulled myself together and decided that I would try my hand at making a homemade version of PFB. Honestly, I love the Perfect Foods Bar and compared to a lot of bars out there they really are full of goodness, but there are two ingredients that kinda bug me: 1. The non fat milk powder is not organic and I would prefer a dairy-free bar. 3. The egg white powder is also not organic. However, they taste amazing and I have tried to recreate this amazing-ness a few times and failed, so I was a little skeptical on the possibility of recreating my beloved. Well, I gotta say I have come pretty darn close. My bars are not as tasty, but Lawd they will do.
Without Further adieu I bring you: Gluten-Free, Hormone Balancing Energy Giving Peanut Butter Protein Bars.
- 2c organic, crunchy natural peanut butter (this ended up being the entire jar)
- 3/4c raw honey
- 1/2c maple syrup
- 2c chocolate protein powder- I used Thorne’s Vegilite
- 1/4c chia seeds
- 1/4c maca
- 1/4c unsweetened almond milk
- Heat peanut butter, honey and maple syrup in an a small sauce pan on low for 2-5 min
- mix the dry ingredients in a medium size mixing bowl
- add peanut butter, honey & maple syrup to dry goods and stir while adding bits of the almond milk at a time
- after the ingredients are fully combined, spread evenly in a 3qt baking dish
- allow to harden in refrigerator overnight then cut and serve
*serving will vary on how big you want the bars to be. I sliced them into 16 different bars.
*store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Good Lord these are good.
I enjoyed one with a green smoothie after a run and sweaty yoga sculpt class today. They definitely hit da spot. #nomnom
Yesterday, Burt got the left over peanut butter jar:
Dog loves peanut butter.
And for giggles here is the treadmill HIIT I did on Saturday that got me good and schweaty.
And with that I am off. happy Monday!!