Yesterday I got the results back from the food intolerance test I had done two weeks ago. The test I had done is a blood test called the Carroll Food Intolerance test. My results indicated that I am, indeed, fruit intolerant. Well, that’s a new one. I have heard of being gluten, dairy, soy, wheat, and egg intolerant, but fruit? Weird. At first glance, I didn’t think this was that big of a deal. After all, I did not come back with a gluten, egg or dairy intolerance. Yee haw! However, after I was versed on all that items that are considered fruit, I died a little inside.
This List includes:
- all fruit except melon, rhubarb, tomatoes and avocado
- olives and olive oil- so sad
- coconut and coconut oil-so very sad
- wine- heart wrenching
- lemons & limes
- apple cider vinegar
- balsamic vinegar
- palm oil
- fruit extracts
- citric acid, and acetic acid- this is tricky because these fellas are common preservatives
- bromelain & papain- enzymes derived from pineapple & papaya- again, tricky because in protein powders and supplements
So this basically eliminates 70% of the foods in my diet. Turns out this fruit intolerance diagnosis is rather inconvenient. I think I can handle this when eating at home; however, eating out is a completely different story. Some of my favorite cuisines are Thai and Indian. Both of those cuisines are prepared with with coconut and lime. Both are a no-go for me. Sad. I am going to be that girl drilling the waitstaff on what they prepare their fare with. Oh Portlandia you would have a field day with me. In addition to my dismal no-fruit fate, my test also indicated that I cannot have a grain and potato within 8 hours of one another. Again, at first glance this did seem like that big of a deal. I can handle being conservative with my starches. However, the devil is in the details. A lot of preservatives are potato derived (i.e. vitamin A, most B vitamins, dextrose and maltodextrin). This means no hemp milk in my coffee if I have oatmeal for breakfast. That is not the end of the world, but do I really want to be that person who is constantly investigating their food. I already feel like that person, but my new diagnosis brings it to a whole new level. Joy. Honestly, I have not decided on if I am going to embark on this journey. I am thinking I am going to try it for four weeks and see if I feel drastically better. If it is more annoying than beneficial, I will go back to my fruit eating ways.
I am thinking of going fruit free on Monday, so I will be throwing a fruit party this weekend. Woot!
And with that, I am off!
I just got home from 5 days in Kiwah Island for my family reunion. I loved Kiwah, seeing my family and I apparently really loved the cookies, cake, candy and ice cream that accompanied this little get away. So I am feelin’ it today. I have felt more svelte and lively. However, wipe that sweat from your brow, I am getting back on track. Phew.
On my ridiculously looong plane ride home yesterday, I read oodles of fitness magazines, which did wonders for my self-esteem. And inspired my fanny to make a few changes. Again, phew.
I read this while consuming this:
oh the irony…
However, that was yesterday and this is today. The nuggets of inspiration I took away from my reads are:
- switch up my workouts
- stop the mindless snacking
- record what you eat due to the above issue
I realize these are revolutionary nuggets of information. For some reason seeing it in print for the 900th time really spoke to me.
So here is how my back-on-track plan is rolling out:
1. begin the day with my probiotic
2. Follow up with some liver cleansing, digestion stimulating lemon water:
3. proceed to fish oil and Juice Plus supplements (not pictured)
4. after all of that nonsense, eat breakfast. I had a left over peanut butter jar that was screaming to be filled with no oat “oatmeal”
5. Get ma fanny to the gym. I did 20 minutes on the elliptical, 15 minutes of HIIT running on the treadmill, 15 minutes of circuit training (with all new exercises) and 5 minutes of yoga. Then I spent a good 10 minutes in the sauna hoping to bid adieu to all of that enriched flour and high fructose corn syrup.
6. upon my return from the gym, I replenished with the best darn green smoothie
In this divine creation resides:
- 1c limeade
- 1/2c coconut water
- 6 frozen strawberries
- 3c spinach
- 3/4c 2% Greek Yogurt
- 2t detox powder
7. Off to work I go. The only eats I have at work is trail mix, so one (large) handful of trail mix it was:
I still need to hit up the grocery store, but I am thinking of making gingered carrot soup for dinner from this cookbook:
A friend of mine made me this soup not so long ago and it was awesome! I will let ya’ll know how it turns out.
And with that, I am off to the grocery store to gather ingredients.
What do you do to get back on track after a rather indulgent vacation?
skinspot’s skin has changed yet again. For those of you who don’t know I own a mini spa (skinspot) in Portland, OR. Up until recently skinspot has focused primarily on the outside by offering only facials, peels and skin care products. However, things at da ‘spot are a changin’. In addition to the customized facials, peels and home care routines, skinspot now offers health coaching services, wellness workshops and grocery store tours. Hot dog! It is becoming a full out mission at skinspot to bring the best version of a person forward and this mission often involves tackling both the inside and the outside.
what does one obtain from health coaching?
- youthful, glowing skin.
- loosening pants, shorts and maybe a dress or two
- reduction or complete eradication of cravings
- reduction or complete eradication of health related ailments
- a nourishing relationship with food. this is not another diet
- an ever expanding confidence in yourself and what you can accomplish
- surging energy levels
- better digestion
- a better understanding of your body and why it acts the way it does
- a financial savings. it’s amazing that when your waist line starts shrinking your pocket book starts expanding
- the ability to motivate others
- an overall better quality of life. need i say more…
If you are thinking that one, or all, of these nuggets might be something you want for your life, I encourage you to schedule a free 20 minute find-comfort-in-your-own-skin strategy session with yours truly. In this session we figure out if we are good fit for one another and what your road map to success will look like. Please do not fear if you do not live in the Portland area. Health coaching can be done no matter your locale via telephone, email and Skype. God bless technology.
If you are still not sure about this whole health coaching stuff, I encourage you to stop by this page to learn a wee bit more about what I do, my approach and my story. I do this for a living because I have been overweight, unmotivated, depressed and I have battled acne more than my fair share. I found solutions that work and I want to share them. Plain and simple: I want to help. My passion for this stuff comes from a place of extreme empathy. I have been there and I am now here. I like here better.
In somewhat unrelated news: I discovered limeade
these delights have found their way into my smoothies and i am so glad they did. they make the smoothie somewhat tart, which i am having a hay day over. the smoothie i made today post workout included:
- 8oz limeade
- 1/2 pink lady apple
- 1/4 frozen banana
- 2-3c kale (de-stemmed)
- 2t detox powder
- 4oz coconut water
This guy was just what the doctor ordered after my workout and sweat session in the sauna. He was also consumed with a handful of honey, sesame almonds and 1/4 of a chicken burger left over from last night. Super random, but it totally hit the spot.
And with that, I am signing off. Remember to check out skinspot’s new skin. Do it!!! I kid. Sorta.
this title is a wee bit deceiving. i did not have pickles for breakfast, although i might. however, i did partake in a portland pickle party this weekend. and i made two really amazing breakfasts, hence the very clever title.
da pickle party. i would love to say i that i am responsible for the amazing pickle creations and that i now know how to pickle, but that would be a lie. i basically drank wine, washed dishes and observed the pickling process. i can’t stop typing some version of the word “pickle.”
now on to these breakfasts i speak of.
first up: no oat “oat meal”
this recipe is adapted from carrots-n-cake’s recipe. i have made this before, but I tweaked it a wee bit more and i am simply tickled by how it came out
- 3 egg whites
- 1T chia seeds
- 1T ground flaxseeds
- 1/4c unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 banana (mashed)
- 1/4 c frozen cherries & blueberries
- 1/2t vanilla
- 1/2t cinnamon
- dash of sea salt & liquid stevia (optional)
- crack eggs in a separate bowl
- put all of the ingredients (except the frozen berries) in a small sauce pan and heat on low for 2 minutes
- add the egg whites and whisk continuously for a few minutes. this can feel like it is taking forever.
- after “oatmeal” has reached the desired consistency add the frozen berries and stir for 1-2 minutes
- serve with topping of choice. i choose a giant scoop of peanut butter.
if you are thinking about going the paleo route this is a great breakfast.
breakfast numero 2: oats in a jar (aka OTA)
i had an almost empty peanut butter jar and a brand new protein powder. a combo that screams for oats in a jar.
plant fusion protein powder came in the mail a little over a week ago. it is vegan, gluten free, soy free and sugar free. it also offers a full amino acid profile, which is tricky with vegetarian protein powders. the only vegan protein powder i like is metagenic’s ultra clear ph, but it is time for a change. so far, i like this one. he was superb in this morning’s breakfast.
the goods for oats in a jar
- nearly empty peanut butter jar (almond butter will suffice if you must)
- 1/2c oats
- 1c water
- dash of unsweetened coco milk
- 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 5 strawberries (quartered)
- handful of blueberries
- 1/3 banana (mashed)
- dash of sea salt, cinnamon, & vanilla
- bring oats, water, vanilla, sea salt, & cinnamon to a boil
- reduce heat to a low for 5 min
- stir in banana, blueberries, & strawberries
- stir in coconut milk & protein powder
- pour mixture in peanut butter jar
- feel pleased as punch with yourself and consume your goods
And with that, I am off to the dentist. I am also pondering chopping my hair off today. big plans
Juice Plus is a whole food based supplement. According to Juice Plus their product contains juice powders from 17 fruits, vegetables and grains, and therefore provides a far greater variety of naturally occurring vitamins, antioxidants, and other phytonutrients – even some of the fiber – found in the fruits and vegetables themselves. Juice Plus is not intended to replace eating your fruits and veggies, but instead fill in the gaps where some nutrients may be lacking. It is sort of like your fruit & veggie insurance. I have been taking these gems for a little over 5 months and I haven’t noticed all of the changes they say will occur, but I was eating a good amount of fruits and veg prior to taking the supplements, so the difference in overall well being is not going to be as drastic. I will say that I have not been sick once while taking JP, my hair and nails will not stop growing, and my skin definitely has more a glow. These are not bad results. Here are just some of the benefits of JP backed by clinical research:
- Juice Plus+ delivers key antioxidants and other phytonutrients that are absorbed by the body.
- Juice Plus+ reduces oxidative stress.
- Juice Plus+ reduces key biomarkers of systemic inflammation.
- Juice Plus+ supports a healthy immune system.
- Juice Plus+ helps protect DNA.
- Juice Plus+ supports cardiovascular wellness.
- Juice Plus+ supports healthy skin.
- Juice Plus+ supports healthy gums.
They also have these amazing gummies that taste like candy (sorta), but they are packed with good-for-you nutrients. These are great for the kiddos.
If you are at all interested in purchasing these delights contact me and I can put you in contact with the rep I purchased them from.
And with that, I am off to the gym to sprint and lift a few heavy things.
I honored my month of fun pact with a weekend of fun. This is one pact I have very little trouble sticking to.
here are a few pics from the weekend-o-fun:
Pedicure was had
as was a mani
one superb green monkey ( I think that’s what they called it) was consumed
Dinner and drinks with oodles of friends at Pambiche on Friday night. I was too busy chatting to bust out the camera. Such a fun night!
Saturday breakfast with the honey at Slappy Cakes
Peanut butter, blueberry pancakes. Oh dear!
oats & protein powder concoction breakfast. Not overly thrilling, but so dang tasty
Sunday lunch & afternoon margarita with a pal at Por Que No- a superb way to round out the weekend.
I also discovered the amazing blog: can you stay for dinner. I adore this bloggers philosophy on food,fitness & life. She is an amazing writer too. I highly suggest stopping by her blog.
In other news, there are some extremely exciting changes happening at skinspot, so stay tuned. Will the fun never cease?
Have a fun week!
Happy June 1st!
I have decided to deem June the month fun. I have no validity behind this declaration other than I want have more fun- damn it.
Here are some of my thoughts on fun (prepare to be enlightened):
1. Most Americans do not have enough of it.
2. It makes you skinny. Say what?! Generally when we allow for more fun in our life we are less inclined to turn to a bag of Doritos to give us a sense of elation. Additionally, fun ignites a sense of relaxation and we digest our food far more efficiently in a relaxed state.
3. We are not put on this planet to be miserable, we get one shot, so we should probably enjoy it a little.
This so called “fun” I am referring too, does not require you to quit your job and a move to Tahiti. Although, that’s not a bad idea. I am talking about finding fun in the little things. Get a massage, manicure or facial. Instead of cleaning your bathroom, go get a drink with a friend. Please know that I have to deem a month of fun because I am the type of being that has a very unhealthy relationship with my to-do list, so this type of “fun” needs to happen more in my life. I am a creature of habit and I am boring myself to tears.
Here are my fun goals for June (Again, prepare to be enlightened)
- get something done (i.e. mani/ pedi/ Eyebrow wax)
- start going to yoga a few nights a week as a way to take a break from my beloved computer
- ride ma bike
- try new recipes
- turn off the TV and read a fun book
- have more happy hours with my chums and honey
- get outside
- go on a vacation- just so happens that I have one planned. Woot!
Bottom line: deviate from my daily routine in ANY way.
apparently I got a jump start on said “fun” because I made a new recipe on Wednesday night. I was craving curry and chicken, so Chicken Curry soup I made.
I bring you Slow Cooker Chicken Curry:
- 2lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1t coconut oil (for greasing slow cooker)
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 2 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 medium size sweet potato (chopped)
- 2 medium size broccoli heads (chopped)
- 1T curry
- 1T cumin
- 1/2T Graham Masala
- 1t Tagine spice
- 1t sea salt
- grease up slow cooker with coconut oil
- put coconut milk & spices in slow cooker and whisk together until you get a creamy, consistent mixture
- place chicken breasts in cooker on high for 4 hours (could also do low for 6 hours)
- after 2 hours add sweet potatoes, onion & garlic
- after three hours add broccoli
- let cook for the full 4 hours (on high) or 6-8 hours (on low)
I had it for dinner again last night and added a wee bit of kale & chard
In honor of my month of fun, today’s breakfast consisted of chocolate, peanut butter quinoa. I am wild!!!
1/4c quinoa + 1/2 scoop chocolate vegilite protein powder+ 1/2 banana+ 1T peanut butter+ a titch of vanilla, cinnamon & coconut milk+ a few blueberries = pure fun.
Furthermore, I ate this bowl of pure fun on our front porch instead of the computer. I am on a roll…
I fully intended on getting my bangs trimmed today and having drinks with chums and honey. Let the fun brigade continue!
Hope your day is filled with fun!