leeks & brussels
I am obsessed with brussel sprouts for quite some time. Recently, I have been obsessed with leeks. What are leeks?
leeks look like a giant scallions. They are related to garlic, onions, and shallots, but offer a more delicate, sweeter flavor. leeks are filled with oodles of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. However, they are only in season for a short time, so give ‘em a go while you can. In fact, try them in this recipe.
Worchestire brussel sprouts & leeks:
2 key players:
- 1 pound brussel sprouts- stems removed and cut in half
- 1 leek- chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic- chopped
- 2T coconut aminos ( soy sauce or tamari will also work)
- 1.5T Worcestershire Sauce (beware: most conventional Worcestershires contain high fructose corn syrup and other naughties, so be be sure to read the label. I really like The Wizard’s Worcestershire Sauce).
- 3T ghee (could also use butter or EVOO)
- dash of sea salt & fresh, ground black pepper
- pre-heat oven to 425
- heat 3T of ghee in large skillet
- add leeks & garlic to skillet- saute until soft
- add halved brussel sprouts, Worcestershire Sauce, coconut aminos, sea salt & pepper- saute until soft
- transfer brussel & leek mixture to parchment paper lined cookie sheet or roasting pan
- cook for 25-30 minutes.
I enjoyed these guys with some broccoli and roasted sweet potatoes. Yummm…
Burt dined on Mr. Duck:
Side Note: I just discovered the HBO series, Game of Thrones. I cannot believe I like it, but it is so dang good.
And with that, I am off. Happy Monday!